Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A few minor updates

Well, having successfully proven that my own business is going to prevent me from having any sort of regular blogging activity, I hearby revoke all previous column-like promises, and just state simply that I will do them when I have time- it's not as though it's a chore, but in terms of my writing priorites "blog about my relatively ordinary life" is pretty low. I'd much rather be working on a short story, a school project, or honestly even a post on my new literary criticism blog, The Third Shelf Down [/completely shameless self-promotion].

Now then, as to myself, my summer semester has started, and as a result I've been incredibly busy with papers and the like (in fact, I'm actually simulatenously working on a paper right now). In any case, said business has successfully managed to syphon away my free time, I personally blame my somewhat overarchieving attitude in taking a full courseload during the smaller timeframe. I have managed to get a fair amount of reading done, mostly thanks to my ~1-1.5 hours a day spent on the train and waiting for it, and things have more or less continued as normal as a result of that. Indeed, romantic as the notion of living in a foreign country may seem, it begins to feel normal after a while. If nothing else, though, it has manged to greatly expand my comfort zone, so I suppose this is a good thing.

On a less personal front, I'm going to recede into childhood fanboy mode for a quick moment. Growing up I was somewhat of an otaku in purely the Americanized sense (there was a 2 year period or so where I basically lived, slept, ate, and drank anime and manga). I'm still a fan today, though I have calmed down, and my tastes have changed somewhat drastically, preferring the subtle and powerful to the baser instincts (violence; sex) that most of the series these days deal with. Anyhow, I've always, and still to this day remain a great fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion, and I've been eagerly awaiting the second in the quarter of movie remakes. Evangelion 2.0: [You can (not) advance] comes out towards the end of June, I believe, and there's a certain level of hype going around right now. Given my- er- condition when it comes to coffee, I've already managed to secure a complete set of the new UCC evangelion coffee cans, which is both a bit saddening and delightful simultaneously. I suppose I just have to curse UCC for knowing how to make me buy terrible, terrible coffee. I plan to go see it as soon as I can, schoolwork permitting, and I may post a more thorough review at such time.

Well, that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment